Hearty Soup for Your ChildrenFebruary 9, 2017
Creamy Zucchini Soup
During the colder months, it is harder to get children to eat raw veggies + drink enough water. I like to make a lot of soups in the winter, since they keep well in the fridge and are hearty. This soup can be made with other vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli and carrot, just swap it with the zucchini. It can be enjoyed cold and warm and has no cream it!
- 1 tablespoon of ghee OR unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt, Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cut into half-moons with the skin on
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock or broth
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a large saucepan, melt the ghee in the olive oil
- Add the onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook over medium to low heat, stirring frequently, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes
- Add the zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10-12 minutes
- Add the stock and 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a simmer; cook until the zucchini is very soft, about 10 minutes.
- If you have an immersion blender, you can puree the soup in the sauce pan, otherwise you can trasnfer to a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to work in batches, depending on the size of your blender. Return the soup to the saucepan.
- Add the juice of one lemon, season with salt and pepper
- Enjoy it hot or chilled, keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 week. Also freezes well.
By Pegah Jalali, MS, RD, CDN, CNSC of Middleberg Nutrition.
Visit their website at http://middlebergnutrition.com.
Pegah’s email is email@example.com.