This fast and delicious meal can be enjoyed a variety of ways. Enjoy it straight out of the skillet on night one, then freeze leftovers for a future busy night or re-purpose them for taco filling, nacho toppings or burrito stuffing later in the week. This recipe is also easily customizable for your family’s preferences–leave out the chicken for a vegetarian meal, toss in any extra veggies that you have in the fridge, or swap in your favorite whole grain in place of quinoa. Get kids involved by having them choose their own toppings and helping to rinse the beans, measure the spices, and stir the mixture together.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 pound diced boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, minced (remove seeds and ribs for less spice)
½ cup chopped red bell peppers
1 cup quinoa
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Sliced avocado, shredded cheese, cilantro, green onions, Greek yogurt and lime wedges for serving
1) In a large non-stick pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink inside. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
2) Add the garlic, jalapeno and bell pepper to the pan and stir frequently until bell pepper is soft, about 2-3 minutes.
3) Stir in quinoa, broth, tomatoes, black beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer until quinoa is cooked, about 20 minutes.
4) Add the chicken back to the pan and stir well.
5) Serve with avocado slices, cheese, cilantro, sliced green onions, Greek yogurt and lime wedges on the side, allowing kids to “customize” their own bowls.
For more great tips or to find out more about our services, contact Bonita@EnergeticJuniors.com, or call 212-879-1566.
Also check out our website at www.energeticjuniors.com.