August 2014 is Kids Eat Right month! By Andrea Robbins, M.S., HHC Family Wellness CounselorAugust 17, 2014
August 2014 is Kids Eat Right month!
Kids Eat Right is created by an initiative of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and its Foundation. You can learn more on their website www.eatright.org
How can we help ‘kids eat right’? Below are 5 tips to help foster healthy nutrition and an active lifestyle for the whole family. Embedded is the idea that children learn by doing. So what better way to learn about healthy food and cooking than by participating in it?
- Enlist your child(ren) to help plan the menu. They can help by contributing their ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Give your child(ren) the job of writing up the shopping list
- Bring your child(ren) to the grocery store
- Explain to you child(ren) that the perimeter of the grocery store is usually where you can find the most nutritious, least processed, whole food items.
- If you want your family to eat nutritious, healthy food, then buy nutritious, healthy food.
- Allow children to help prepare, chop and cook the meals. By feeling ownership over the process they are more likely to eat the food.
- Make a commitment to eat as a family (without electronics)
- Teach and model mindful eating: By eliminating distractions and focusing on our food- flavors and textures, we tend to eat slower and know when we have had enough, therefore decreasing the chance to overeat.
- Family meals allow you to catch up on the day and connect
For additional family nutrition and wellness tips and supplementary materials visit my website at www.andrearobbinshhc.com